I’ve written before about Peter Singer (no relation) and his important book about giving, The Life You Can Save. I’m on Peter’s newsletter list. Since the start of the pandemic, he has written a series called “mythbusters,” each of which addresses difficult questions and common misconceptions around giving. Here are links to most of the articles in the series:
- Myth #01: Donating to help people in my own community is best.
- Myth #02: You have to be brave to save lives.
- Myth #03: Hard work determines one’s economic success.
- Myth #04: A strong sense of compassion should determine where we donate.
- Myth #05: I am NOT materialistic.
- Myth #06: Covid will be among the deadliest killers in Africa.
- Myth #07: Aiming to be perfect is only for “perfectionists.”
- Myth #08: Philanthropy is only a “drop in the bucket.”
As Peter says, I hope you’ll find this series to be a helpful resource as you continue your own giving journey.